24/7 Emergency Service Available

Olson Superior Blog

Read Why Olson Superior Plumbing is Orange County’s #1 Plumber 


How to Read Your Water Meter


A majority of homeowners find their water bill remains for the most part consistent throughout the year. If there’s all of a sudden a drastic increase in what you owe, and you have not had a great amount of water usage, such as:

  • Watering a newly laid lawn
  • Watering a garden during a dry spell
  • Or filling a swimming pool

…you may have a water leak. Clearly understanding how to read a water meter is the first step to figuring out if you have a leak.

Properly Checking A Water Meter

Typically, the water meter is secured in the ground with a metal plate covering the hole. It is typically located on the front of your property near the sidewalk or street so that utility workers can seamlessly access and read the meter. A handful of times, the metal plate becomes covered in dirt, grass, or weeds, which makes it a bit difficult to find if you don’t already know where it’s located on your property.

Any other dirt or growth must be removed from the metal plate prior to attempting to remove the lid. Otherwise you may end up covering the water meter with debris. Next, the metal plate is then removed using a screwdriver or other tool to lift the plate and expose the meter inside.

Understanding How to Read a Water Meter

A water meter generally consists of two gauges. One monitors the water usage, and the other, which appears to look very similar to a triangle, is used to figure out the leak. Prior to reading the meter, all water supplies must be turned off and out of use. This includes washing machines, dishwashers, showers, and sprinklers.

Once all water usage has come to completely stop, you can check the meter. If the triangle continues to spin, this is a sign of a leak. A leak can happen almost anywhere, including an outdoor faucet, inside faucet, shower valve, or toilet.

Call the Local Lake Forest Plumber

When a leak is discovered, you’ll need to call a licensed Lake Forest Plumber to help properly locate the problematic valve, faucet, spigot, or fixture. Some items can be repaired, and others must be replaced:

  • Repair broken or damaged pipes inside or outside
  • Replace leaking bathroom or kitchen sink faucets, bathtub faucets, or showerheads
  • Replace valves to the toilet or replace the fixture if it’s cracked



If you have any questions, call our 24/7 Rapid Response Team at 949-328-6002 or email us at [email protected] – If you want more information online, please visit us @ https://www.OlsonSuperior.com

For industry insights, announcements, and tips make sure to follow our blog at: olsonsuperior.com/blog




Text Us!

Enter your information below and our team will text you shortly.
There are some error, Please contact with site owner.
Thank you for your submission and our team will text you shortly

Hi there, have a question? Text us here!